Simple Living Series: My Body
This post is Part 2 of 6 of Simple Living Series. Learn more about the series here.
It took a long time for me to appreciate the uniqueness of my body. From where I grew up, I didn't look like the kids on our street or like the classmates on my school. I felt there was something always "too much" with me. I was uncomfortable with my skin, my nose, my shoulders and my hair. I felt too different. I just wanted to blend with the class, but my plans on doing just that had always failed.
Later on, when I got older, I learned to fully embrace how my body looks and feels. I can now appreciate my own kind of beauty.
I had always been fascinated by the concept of self-care and I am still continually finding and doing ways to take care of my body the best that I can. Here are some practices that I know could nourish our bodies in the best possible way:
MY BEST BODY PRACTICES LIST
- regularly get enough good sleep
- have a balanced and varied workout routine that I enjoy & keeps me fit
- actively manage any current health issues
- use natural beauty products / avoid chemicals on cosmetics
- maintain a positive body image on self and others, say no to media ideal image
- learn how to properly care for my unique hair type
- daily oral care including tongue cleaning, see a dentist every 6 months
- maintain a healthy cholesterol count, blood pressure and blood sugar count
- incorporate active movement in daily lifestyle
- have a regular physical exam/overall check up
- get regular eye exam and check if glasses/lenses used are still appropriate for eyes
- keep weight in ideal range
- practice skin dry brushing for extra circulation benefits before bath
- walk confidently & maintain a good posture
- keep an exercise journal to know if fitness goals are met
- practice breathing breaks
- perform bone stretching exercises daily
- be aware of the body’s signals when exercising
- surround myself with natural, pleasant aromas
- act more energetic, claim to have a lot of energy especially at the beginning of the day
- get therapeutic care like sauna, steam baths or massages once in a while
3rd installment of this series is next: My Nutrition.